Basketball Info for Coaches
Our volunteer coaches are the backbone of the Broadview Heights recreational programs. Without our coaches, we would not have the successful programs we have today. It is our goal to ensure that our coaches are supported and given all the resources necessary to have a successful and fun season. Below is information for our basketball coaching staff.
Thinking about coaching and have some questions? Take a look at the below document.
All youth sports coaches are now required to complete a coaching application including a background check and the completion of the State of Ohio concussion awareness test prior to coaching.
If you have previously submitted a background check within the last 12 months, there is no need to do so again. If not, submit your background check information through the online system here: Background Check Submission
Mandatory Concussion Course
The Mandatory State of Ohio Concussion course is a free course and takes about 20 minutes to complete. Once completed, submit your certification to the Broadview Heights Athletics Manager: Gary Diehl. GDiehl@Broadview-Heights.org
Hoop Zone Coaches Clinic
We are here to help you with your upcoming season! Come join us for some tips and information to help you build players skill level and confidence during the season. We will cover a complete practice plan and skills and offense and defensive philosophies you may be interested implementing during the season.
Cost: Free to all Broadview Heights Youth Basketball Coaches. Must register ahead of time. More info to come soon.
The Broadview Heights Coaches Pledge
As a coach, parents have placed their children in your care. You will be playing a key role in their development and many of the memories they make while playing on your team will stay with them for a lifetime. It is important to understand that your words and actions will have an impact on how these children view sports, competition, their team mates and most importantly – themselves.
With the understanding of the important role you play, we expect each of our coaches to abide by a code of conduct as outlined in our Broadview Heights Coaches Pledge below.
- I will remember that we are youth sports coaches and that the game is for the children not the adults. I understand children participate in sports to have fun and learn the game. Winning is secondary.
- I will be a positive role model for the children, encouraging sportsmanship, showing respect and courtesy and demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game and practice.
- I will teach our players both the rules of the game and the league rules. I will make our player’s parents aware of the rules.
- I will communicate with parents regarding practices, games and other matters.
- I will not ridicule or yell at any child for making a mistake but will encourage them to learn from their mistakes and strive to continuously improve.
- I will remind our team and fans to exhibit good sportsmanship at all times, both when winning and when losing.
- I will not, nor will I allow my assistant coaches, players, parents or fans to engage in any form of disrespect toward other coaches, players, parents, fans, officials, staff, league representatives or city officials before, during or at any time after a sporting event or practice.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games. I will not verbally or through gestures, directly or indirectly question or criticize an official’s call or decision even though I may disagree with it.
- Should a disagreement arise between myself and an official, opposing coach or league representative, I will discuss it respectfully at an appropriate time and ultimately abide by the final decision of the official.
- I will not promote or encourage dissent. This includes posting derogatory comments on social media, sending mass or reply all emails to other coaches or encouraging parents or other coaches to engage in campaigns of dissent against other coaches, league representatives or city officials.
- Our team will play by the rules and abide by both the letter and spirit of the rules.
- I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all players.
- I understand that I am subject to the procedures outlined in our zero tolerance disciplinary policy were I to violate any of these rules.